Every American’s Experience

Reading a personal experience piece about 9/11 was very interesting. Hearing stories from President Bush or other officials gives a much different feel than this article. The author, David Foster Wallace, was in the position that most of the country was that day, just an everyday citizen minding his own business. He talks of his experience of the day from his suburban town, making it again relatable to much of the population. This article, written just after the event itself, is very raw and casual, without, the perhaps usefulness of, any time to reflect. Wallace doesn’t hold back; it’s a very personal piece simply about how he was feeling about the situation.

The anecdote about the flags that appeared overnight around town was something I had never considered before. The amount of patriotism really did change overnight. Such a tragedy brought Americans closer together. I can definitely understand his feeling that people would judge him for not having a flag, and I thought it was an interesting metaphor for the change that had occurred inside each one of us that day. Wallace’s experience of September 11 itself was not very notable, but it reflected the experience of many.

I thought he went off on a bit of a tangent when speaking about what a big influence TV had on his town. I didn’t really understand where it fit in the context or purpose of the article. But, I do think it adds to the urgency and flow-of-conscious feel that the article expressed.

I thought reading such an unrefined version of one man’s experience that day was very refreshing and relatable.

Christina Zaranka

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.