“Take nothing, and give me your passport.”

Listening to Don Goodrich speak on Monday, October 10, 2011, and watching the documentary, evoked many emotions within me.  Because I was not able to watch the movie before he came to campus on Monday, I was fairly unfamiliar with the project that he and his wife started.

The documentary itself was very moving; however, I feel that Don’s wife went on and took charge of the project, leaving Don and their other family members in the dust. While I know this was not Mrs. Goodrich’s intentions, it seemed like that was what was happening. Overall, the film was very interesting and I understood the reasons for their project.

Don Goodrich’s speech, both to the y:1 classes and at the presentation of the documentary, was very heartfelt and everyone was intrigued by his stories. Losing a child is tough, but losing a child in an attack on our entire nation must be so much harder to handle.  I can only imagine the emptiness that Mr. Goodrich felt after his son was murdered and then after his wife died of Ovarian Cancer.

The one story that really stuck in my mind was the one Don Goodrich told about his trip to Afghanistan to spread his wife’s ashes. The fact that he risked his life, and that his friend was willing to risk his own life, to grant his wife’s last wish was remarkable. Don Goodrich’s story is definitely one that will stick in my mind for quite a long time, and I am thankful and very happy that we were able to meet with him and hear his story.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to “Take nothing, and give me your passport.”

1. dgriffith says:

Allie, I would have liked to have heard a bit more about the ways in which Goodrich’s talk and documentary might have changed your mind a little, or not at all, concerning the decisions the Bush administration made post-9/11.

It was surprising to me how adamant he was in condemning the actions at Abu Ghraib. He said, “we must be careful not to be condemned in the same ways we condemn others.”

Do you agree?

2. Rick Derby says:

The contents of the documentary are a bit deceiving, in that it is incomplete. Sally went through a stage where she was focused primarily on building the school. At the same time, family members were coping with the loss of Peter in their own way. As the film is incomplete, we were unable to present the entirely of the family’s experience. What you saw is a bit one sided. Our intention in choosing one side to depict was that it cut against the grain of an audience’s expectation.

The work you saw was we as filmmakers scrambling to assemble some sort of cohesive narrative to present in local film festivals so that Sally could see some of the documentary before she left us.

You heard Don speak. If ever there were an equal partner, it would be Don. Together they were a beautiful, complimentary team. Sally would be the first to say that this was not a one woman show.

Wish I could have attended to better explain the “documentary.” Now that the 10 year anniversary has passed, we are beginning final editing. We wanted to include images of Don leaving some of Sally’s ashes in Afghanistan. A gesture of her commitment, even in death.