A good Christian

What does it mean to be a good Christian? The question echoed in my head into the evening after Monday’s class. Well, you have to ask, who’s definition of “Christian” are we talking about? Mine? Pat Robertson’s? Too often the idea of ‘good Christian’ and ‘good American’ are blended into one supernova of suburban, Martha Stewart bliss. But where is the real line to distinguish a good Christian from a good person? My favorite verse of the Bible is Micah 6:8 which reads “He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you, but to act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?” I have to say, I think the question is answered right there! A habitual recycler does not a real Christian make. A Christian is, in it’s essence, a person who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus taught love, forgiveness, humility, mercy, all the things we are taught, no matter what religion, to strive to be. So it makes me incredibly sad to hear people my own age say that they don’t like Christians. I always want to ask, who are you talking about? Are you talking about the Jehovah’s witnesses who stop you on the street? Are you talking about the televangelists screaming in tounges through your TV? Are you talking about the anti-abortionists shoving pictures of dead fetus’s in your face? Are you talking about the pastors wanting to burn Korans? Are you talking about me? I’m a pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-gay rights, prObama Christian. Now, I’m sure there are people out there who would say that my listed beliefs mean that I do not meet the qualifications. That’s okay with me. So, what does it mean to be a good Christian? Such a complicated question has such a simple answer. Strive to do good and forgive. Strive to be humble and to love people. It’s so much easier said than done, but I’m pretty sure He knows that. Jesus was not a judge, He was not an emperor, He was not an executioner. He was a carpenter, He fixed things for others; son of man, born in a manger.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.